Sunday 29 November 2015

Nitish Kumar going the RSS way!



"I never expected Nitish Kumar to go the RSS way!” Banwarilal said in an angry voice while entering my chamber and sat in the front chair.

Banwarilal is a good friend of mine, who is a typical self-made activist. He always has his own peculiar logics and some of which are very genuine. He doesn't have too many supporters. Most of the times he comes to me just to express his anger as I am his only audience. (Unfortunately I had to oblige him always for friendships sake.)

"What happened man! Only a few days ago you had left Modi camp to join Nitish camp?", I asked coolly.
Banwarilal in an annoying voice said, "Don't mock me! You know why I became anti-RSS!"
Banwarilal had turned anti-RSS and anti-BJP after the beef ban had been imposed in some of the BJP ruled states. He has a clear view that nobody should decide what to eat and what not to. He is also critical of Khaps for the same reason as the khaps dictate what to wear and what not; even preventing girls from using mobile phone etc and his logics are most of the times genuine. I was really surprised on why he had suddenly become critical of Nitish?

He started saying, "You know, I am always for the fundamental freedom. I never accept anyone's moral policing to impose bans,"

"But what Nitish did to you man?" I again asked.
"Don't you know? Nitish is banning liquor from 1st April 2016?" He said looking into my face.
I said, "So what?"  I was still unable to get his point.

He said with an uneasy but angry expression on his face, "Who is Nitish to decide what one will drink or not drink? Isn't it an attack on our fundamental rights to freedom of choice? How can he become a moral police?"
I then understood his point and the sense of activism in him.
I tried to explain to him by saying, "Look my friend. In any case alcohol is bad for health. It was a pre-election promise made by Nitish. Hence it was his obligation to fulfill it. Anyways you don't drink alcohol, so what's your problem?"

"The Point is not whether I drink or not," He argued.

"The point is who is he to decide in a free democracy what a person drinks or not. It's the right of the individual whether he drinks water, juice or alcohol. Further you said it was his election promise, but how come I didn't know about it?" He further added.

"What would have happened if you knew about it?" I asked.
"Then I wouldn't have voted for him" He answered plainly.
I was really left speechless for that moment. Then I asked, "Do you really think that your one vote could have prevented him from becoming the chief minister?"
"No, I am not saying that," He explained.

"But at least I wouldn't have had that feeling of guilt, which I have today."

I shook my head helplessly. He stood up and said, "You will never understand my true activist emotions. Anyways I can't excuse Nitish for going the RSS way."

And then he then left my chamber.

No comments:

Post a Comment